Monday, August 26, 2013

2 week & 6 day report!

The first few weeks with our newest baby have gone by quickly, but we have tried to enjoy every moment of her tiny, floppy-necked, sleepy introduction to our world! Annelise is generally an easy-temperment baby so far who spends a cat-like amount of time snoozing - but I do think she may be suffering from a bit of reflux or digestive discomfort at times - these are the times when she breaks out the baby-Finley-style "EEE-lah" cry (Dad thinks it's more of a straight "LAAAH"), makes a grumpy face and yells at us until she falls asleep. Fortunately, it's not too hard to comfort her, even when she's in that state. On a couple of occasions, she's even reminded us of Finley's stiff-legged protests, but again we've found it not-too-hard to convince her to settle down.

The most common question we are getting is whether we are getting any sleep. The answer is yes!! Annelise sleeps for most of the night without waking. And, so far, my magical nighttime parenting solution of co-sleeping continues to  work like a charm. For us, this is the only way to parent. Annelise sleeps in the bassinet next to our bed until she starts fussing a bit, and I bring her into bed with us to nurse or just snuggle. Back to sleep for both of us within minutes - and the best part is that there is never inconsolable crying while I'm out of bed wanting to be sleeping. I know other moms find that other methods that work for them, but for us, I can't imagine doing anything else. Now, obviously we are just three weeks in, but I'm hoping this continues to work well for us like it did for the big kids.

Speaking of the big kids, Finley and Charlotte are doing well. They are still affectionate and "helpful" when it comes to the baby, and I think we have all benefited from the forced at-home time of the last several weeks. Most days we don't even fall into a routine, we just hang out and do art projects, trips to the park, make tents, go outside, etc. as the spirit moves us. I'm thinking that the structure of the school year will be great for the kids, but in the meantime we are enjoying just the opposite.

School is right around the corner... Finley will begin Kindergarten and Charlotte will start at Finley's old pre-school with Finley's former teacher!  I have mixed feelings about Finley starting school - part of me is very excited for him (and us) to become part of the school community, make new friends, learn new things... while part of me wants him to be able to continue running around the house and doing whatever the heck he wants to, just being a kid. Also, it's such a long day away - I'm going to miss him!!! But, I know he's ready and I can't wait to watch him grow into this new phase. Charlotte's going to love pre-school and I don't expect even a moment of hesitation from her about staring something new. She's excited to make new friends - and I'm sure she will right away. She'll only be going two mornings a week, which I think should be a perfect introduction to school.  We'll have more reports once things get underway!














1 comment:

alli said...

Love the videos! And also that you are doing such a great job of documenting kiddo no. 3!