Sunday, December 16, 2007

swing sleep

I spend a lot of my time these days thinking about Finley's sleep patterns. I've learned that napping during the day makes him happier when he's awake - and that if he doesn't nap in the morning, he is less likely to have good naps later in the day - and more likely to be a huge fuss-monster that evening. We're always talking and reading about what methods we should try to get him to sleep and I'm often weighing the benefits of putting him down after he falls asleep in my arms against just letting him sleep where he is - he'll sleep much longer when he's held compared to when he's been put down after falling asleep. He sometimes falls asleep on his own if I put him down at just the right moment when he's tired but not yet cranky. We tried the "let cry" approach a couple of times and it did work after a few minutes, but we didn't feel good about doing it - it is totally against our intuition to just let him cry himself to sleep when he's so small and helpless. Today I was talking to mom about all this and she asked me if he ever falls asleep in the swing and I told her that he HATES his swing. We actually hadn't tried it in a while because he had only seemed to like it one time, and then only for a few minutes. Anyway, after we got off the phone, I thought to myself, "Heck, I suppose we ought to try the swing again." And guess what?! He's sound asleep in it right now.
On another note, it's really neat to be
supplying Finley with all of his nutrition by nursing him. When I pumped a little milk this morning I felt all proud of myself for producing it, so I had to take a picture! Look what I did!

No comments: